(July 9th, 2016) The UNESCO Chair in Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education at the University of California at Los Angeles is developing an online and print magazine to be launched in 2017. The publication will be called Global Commons Review: The Magazine of the UNESCO UCLA Chair in Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education.
The magazine will promote the core mission of the UNESCO Chair at UCLA: to construct a “pole of excellence and innovation’’ in global learning and global citizenship education to promote peace, transnational knowledge and understanding and sustainable development through programs around the world, including Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
The publication will primarily be an online magazine at GlobalCommons.Review and UNESCO.GSEIS.UCLA.EDU but will also include a twice-a-year print magazine with topics that have drawn the most interest from the magazine’s online readers.
UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies will sponsor the nonprofit magazine. Donations to help defray its operating expenses will be sought from selected corporations, private individuals and nongovernmental organizations. There will be opportunities for donors to run vetted ads in the publication.
The magazine will be oriented toward Western Hemisphere audiences and will be primarily in English. However, we will make every effort to also run occasional articles in another of the official languages used at United Nations headquarters. Topics will include:
- Critical Issues in Global Citizenship Education (GCE).
- Latest research on the effectiveness of GCE.
- Brief pieces on youth social movements in GCE.
- Hall of Fame: Brief description of corporations, nongovernmental organizations and individuals that have contributed to GCE and ESD.
- Universities and GCE+ESD: A focus on initiatives, practices, experiences and projects to enhance universities’ commitment to GCE+ESD.
- The network of practitioners, including professional educators, of GCE and ESD.
- UNESCO partnership news.
- Dialogues on Global Citizenship Education and Education for Sustainable Development.
The publisher of the magazine will be Prof. Carlos Alberto Torres, who holds the UNESCO Chair in Global Learning and Global Citizenship Education at UCLA, where he is also Distinguished Professor of Education and Director of the Paulo Freire Institute.
The executive editor will be Mr. Tuan Anh Nguyen, who is co-Founder and chief executive officer of The Boston Global Forum (bostonglobalforum.org); founder and former executive editor of VietNamNet, and chairman of the International Advisory Committee of the UNESCO Chair on Global Citizenship Education at UCLA.
For more information, please contact Tuan Anh Nguyen at: NguyenAnhTuan@UCLA.edu or +1(617) 286 6589 or +84 902288999.