The overall purpose of the UNESCO Chair on Global Learining and Global Citizenship Education (GCE) is to construct a “pole of excellence and innovation” in global learning and global citizenship education. This includes but not limited to research, teaching, learning, activism and dialogue about key issues in global learning and global citizenship education and guided by the following objectives:
- To foster the values, abilities, skills of global citizenship for the current generation of undergraduates attending a global research university.
- To build an accredited, rigorous, systematic, empirically-based and theoretical-sound research agenda for global learning and global citizenship education at the graduate level, becoming the foci of the most talented graduate students from around the world.
- To be the lynchpin of the conversation on global learning within UCLA, working and committed to coordinating inter-university programs, institutions, and schools all link to the Chair.
- To fulfill the requirements of the Education First Initiative as well as the Post-2015 Development Goals, specifically pertaining to global citizenship education.
- To assist in a deeper theoretical and empirical understanding to the question of how global citizenship can provide value added to the tensions of national citizenship.